[xubuntu-users] Free Disk space issue

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Nov 12 10:42:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:06:51 -0800
"John R. Sowden" <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:

> The process makes sense, although 5% of a 3TB drive sounds like
> overkill.

You can set the percentage to whatever you want with 'tune2fs'. From
the man page:

 -m reserved-blocks-percentage
        Set the percentage of the filesystem which may only be allocated
        by  privileged  processes.   Reserving some number of filesystem
        blocks for use by privileged processes is done to avoid filesys‐
        tem  fragmentation,  and  to  allow system daemons, such as sys‐
        logd(8), to continue to function correctly after  non-privileged
        processes  are  prevented  from writing to the filesystem.  Nor‐
        mally, the default percentage of reserved blocks is 5%.

If you install from the server image I believe there is a separate
field for specifying the percentage of reserved space when you prepare
the file systems. On a 20GB root fs 5% is probably not excessive, so I
wouldn't touch it, though.

I'm not sure how much space you would realistically need reserved on a
3TB fs to avoid fragmentation, but unless you know otherwise the
defaults are probably sane.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"