[xubuntu-users] [15.04 64Bit]-Updated Intel Display Driver?

Tue May 26 14:45:25 UTC 2015

On 05/26/2015 10:26 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2015 08:21:04 -0400
> Jesse Palser <jessepalsermailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an interesting problem with Xubuntu 15.04 64Bit
>> and Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
>> running in a VMWare Player 7.1.0 for Linux virtual machine.
>> (it's Linux native and Windows virtual)
>>
>> Everything is good with the Xubuntu but I have graphic glitches in
>> Win 8.1 virtual machine.
>> I had to add: "mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = TRUE" to the *.VMX
>> file for hardware acceleration to work in Win 8.1 virtual machine.
>>
>> jezxlee at ThinClient:~/Desktop$ lspci | grep VGA
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
>> Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
>>
>> On Xubuntu 14.10 64Bit I just could install below and all graphic
>> issues go away:
>> https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2015/intelr-graphics-installer-linux-1.0.8
>> Problem is now I am on new 15.04 and it's not yet available on above
>> website?
>>
>> I did some research in Google and found below:
>> https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers
>> Would installing above be ok and will solve my graphic issues with
>> Win 8.1 VM?
> Be a little careful in using the oibaf ppa. From what I remember, they
> are auto-generated daily, and thus are not in any way tested other than
> that they compiled OK. They may also work just fine today, and break
> horribly tomorrow. I would exercise caution if I were to try these, and
> would basically have tried everything else before I went to that step.
>
> Are you sure the drivers you need are not available for 15.04 anywhere
> else? Have you checked if the drivers for 14.10 would work? Do you have
> the option of waiting until proper drivers are available? Are you even
> sure that the drivers are the source of the problem?
>
> Only after examining these questions would I consider that particular
> ppa. Unless you're fine with living on the bleeding edge.
>
> YMMV, they may work just fine for you.
>
> Whether or not they will solve your issue is anyone's guess. Another
> approach would be to run Windows in a KVM instance instead of VMware,
> it may work better, or Xen, if that's your poison. See the recent post
> from Steve Litt on qemu and virtualbox for details on KVM. I mostly have
> experience with KVM - I find it easier to deal with, but Xen is
> supposedly quite good at PCI passthrough. That might help.
>
> Petter

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
I will not install oibaf display driver PPA now.
Hopefully the new Intel display driver will be posted soon for 15.04 below:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

As for VMWare Player for Linux, it's what I prefer to use.
The graphic glitches don't render the Win 8.1 VM unusable,
so I will use it now and hope for new 15.04 Intel drivers to be posted.

Thanks!

Jesse