[xubuntu-users] [15.04 64Bit]-Updated Intel Display Driver?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue May 26 14:26:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 08:21:04 -0400
Jesse Palser <jessepalsermailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an interesting problem with Xubuntu 15.04 64Bit
> and Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
> running in a VMWare Player 7.1.0 for Linux virtual machine.
> (it's Linux native and Windows virtual)
>
> Everything is good with the Xubuntu but I have graphic glitches in
> Win 8.1 virtual machine.
> I had to add: "mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = TRUE" to the *.VMX
> file for hardware acceleration to work in Win 8.1 virtual machine.
>
> jezxlee at ThinClient:~/Desktop$ lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
> Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
>
> On Xubuntu 14.10 64Bit I just could install below and all graphic
> issues go away:
> https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2015/intelr-graphics-installer-linux-1.0.8
> Problem is now I am on new 15.04 and it's not yet available on above
> website?
>
> I did some research in Google and found below:
> https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers
> Would installing above be ok and will solve my graphic issues with
> Win 8.1 VM?

Be a little careful in using the oibaf ppa. From what I remember, they
are auto-generated daily, and thus are not in any way tested other than
that they compiled OK. They may also work just fine today, and break
horribly tomorrow. I would exercise caution if I were to try these, and
would basically have tried everything else before I went to that step.

Are you sure the drivers you need are not available for 15.04 anywhere
else? Have you checked if the drivers for 14.10 would work? Do you have
the option of waiting until proper drivers are available? Are you even
sure that the drivers are the source of the problem?

Only after examining these questions would I consider that particular
ppa. Unless you're fine with living on the bleeding edge.

YMMV, they may work just fine for you.

Whether or not they will solve your issue is anyone's guess. Another
approach would be to run Windows in a KVM instance instead of VMware,
it may work better, or Xen, if that's your poison. See the recent post
from Steve Litt on qemu and virtualbox for details on KVM. I mostly have
experience with KVM - I find it easier to deal with, but Xen is
supposedly quite good at PCI passthrough. That might help.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"