[xubuntu-users] "Not enough space on disk /boot"

lukshuntim at gmail.com lukshuntim at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:56:05 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 02:11 AM, Ince, Wilbur wrote:
> I have to object to this post.  As a long time Ubuntu and now Xubuntu
> user, I have always run into this issue.
>
> In the last 6 months this has happened on two of my three machines.  I
> searched for a 'fool-proof' command line method, and found a thread for
> a one-line solution.  It provided a very detailed explanation of the
> functions in the line of code, so I thought it would be safe to use.
> And of course, this line deleted all of my kernels.
>
> Ubuntu Tweak is the only fail-safe option available to inexperienced
> users, but why install such a function less tool for only a single process?
>
> In my 5 years on Ubuntu I have never run across a simple application
> written to address this issue.  If someone would write it, you would
> have the everlasting gratitude of millions of Ubuntu users!
>
> ST, Have you tried this recipe?  I currently have two kernels listed,
> and running the commands leaves those kernels completely intact.
> Wilbur Ince

Yes, the default behaviour is to leave 2 or at most 3 versions of kernel
*if* you always install the latest kernel (automatically) via the
meta-package linux-image-generic. You can see what versions will be kept
(by apt-get autoremove) by looking at
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels. This file is auto-generated
when a kernel package is installed by the post-install script
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal which comes with apt. Reading it
helps the understanding. :-)

If you install *manually* a particular version of the kernel, `apt-get
autoremove` will not touch it.

Regards,
ST