[xubuntu-users] GeForce4 Old-video-card working wrong in Xubuntu 14.04

Alejandro Lieber dos at lieber.com.ar
Mon May 4 22:52:37 UTC 2015

  04/05/15 03:52, Fernando Duo wrote:
> I have an old computer wich was running Xubuntu 12.04, quite good. As
> I upgraded it last Saturday it started working wrong, specialy video
> totally distortionated.
> When I learned I can change default video configuration, puting a
> xorg.conf in /etc/X11/, I tried difrent resolutions.

> Grub menu showed bad behavior before Xubuntu 14.04, having heavy
> distortion since Xubuntu 12.04.
> Now, even console interface works wrong, it get almost no distortion
> but it's like there were flying pixels.
> I installed nvidia tools, and tried this:
Fernando:

I had the same problem with a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 AGP 8x in Lubuntu.

I corrected all problems modifying the following line in /etc/defaults/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

adding at the end of the line:

nouveau.noaccel=1"

So the line looks like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.noaccel=1"

After this modification you MUST run:

sudo update-grub

Alejandro Lieber