[xubuntu-users] Blank screen period during boot.

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Wed Mar 25 11:04:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 09:43:55AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> In my experience turning off splash and quiet in grub does what you
> say but the blank gaps between the scrolling text are such that it's
> still possible to wonder what's happening.

Adding the "nomodeset" kernel option will probably stop it, but it may
cause problems if you then try to use a video driver that relys on
kernel video mode switching.

For example on the machine I'm using right now with a GTX 780Ti card,
enabling nomodset results in the nouveau driver no longer being able
to output a 1440p signal.  The proprietary NVIDIA driver on the other
hand doesn't care about nomodeset.

                              -Dave Dodge/dododge at dododge.net