[xubuntu-users] Blank screen period during boot.

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Mon Mar 23 20:29:34 UTC 2015

On 03/21/2015 07:50 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> First off, while booting, I guess after loading the kernel and
> initrd, the system becomes unresponsive and the screen goes black for
> a long time (~30s) before systemd takes over and continues the boot.
> Anyone knows where I can begin to look for the cause of this? There
> is nothing in the logs that jumps out at me.

In my experience, all Linuxes have (always have had) a delay during boot
when the screen goes black and the cursor disappears. I have never
understood why this should be. I had for a long time assumed it was an
artifact of me using older, slower computers, but I have also seen it on
faster ones too.

New users are particularly taken aback by this, because it looks as if
something is broken, and there is a tendency for Linux to be blamed.

Is the blank screen an expected behaviour? Is there a suitable
explanation I can offer to new users that will persuade them that all is
still well, and that the login prompt *will* eventually appear?

///Peter