[xubuntu-users] Problem with Xubuntu in VMware Player

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue Mar 10 15:44:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:18:44 -0400
"Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am hoping to get assistance on this list, as my experience is that
> VMware is difficult to query successfully.
>
> I have installed Xubuntu v-14.10 in VMware Player v-7.1.0
> build-2496824 for several reasons. My primary purpose was to install
> xfce v-4.12 as Xubuntu seems to be the sole distro to make it easy to
> upgrade xfce. Incidental, it worked without any hitches. The other,
> actually more important, reason the use as a test bed before
> installing new applications on my production machine.
>
> However, to the problem.
>
> The installer installed the  3.16.0-23 kernel.  Happily, with that
> kerned I could access the Host C: drive.  However, updating the
> kernel to 3.160.31, necessitating the reinstallati0on of
> vmware-tools, resulted in errors in the reinstallation that makes the
> hos C: drive unavailable,
>
> It seems to me that there may be two solutions.  Number one would be
> to revet to the -23 kernel.  Now, I am  not too thrilled with this
> solution1  It's been years since I've compiled a linux kernel, about
> 20 r so, and I am not too cm=comfortable with the idea of monkeying
> with grub.

If you hold down shift when the VM starts to boot, you should get a
GRUB menu that will allow you to boot with the earlier kernel. Then you
would at least be able to use the VM while you look for a more
permanent solution to your problem.

Other than that, I would look for a VMware forum or mailing list and
ask there.

That's the only advice I can give you, sorry :(

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"