[xubuntu-users] [15.04 64Bit]-Delete Old Kernels?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Jun 20 08:03:48 UTC 2015

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 09:43:09 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:20:40 +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> >"sudo apt-get clean" will clear out the package cache, and should also
> >free up some space, as long as /var/cache is on the root disk.
>
> The OP likely suffers from a *buntu default install with a
> separated /boot partition that is too small. That's a wide spread issue.

Yes, this is something that absolutely needs to be fixed. With the
multi-TB disks we have today, the installer should default to a
bigger /boot, when it creates it as a separate partition. I assume
there is still time to handle this before 15.10 goes into freeze, it
would be nice to have such a common problem fixed well before 16.04, as
that will be an LTS.

The OP wasn't clear on whether this is the problem, though, he just
said there was insufficient space for updates. It could be that the
root partition is full.

> I agree that it's unlikely that the OP has got "linux-image-generic"
> installed and autoremove could work, since then upgrades should only
> keep two kernels. However, it could be possible, because *buntu's
> usually keep two kernels and may be an upgrade is (let's call it)
> "atomic", IOW it perhaps first tries to install the new, third kernel,
> before removing one kernel.

I expect that is the way it works. If so, he could manually remove the
older kernel before running the update.

> Maybe the OP should post the output of
>
>   df -h ; ls -hAl /boot

That would indeed be helpful.

> and assumed there should be a boot partition that is too small to keep
> a few modern kernels, to consider to resize the /boot partition and to
> reinstall grub (grub, not the grub package) after doing this. However,
> the fine manuals are a user's friend.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

It *is* a problem that crops up way too often, though. And for new
users, it's confusing, and can be difficult to handle. Resizing
partitions is not something a new user should have to handle just to
get updates working.

I'm too lazy to check if there is a bug filed for this against ubiquity
- maybe later today.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"