[xubuntu-users] [15.04 64Bit]-"Aw, Snap!" Google Chrome Crashes-AMD Proprietary Display Driver?

Wed Jun 10 11:02:12 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 06:57 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 06:33:32 -0400
> Jesse Palser <jessepalsermailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Great O.S. - I use it now on all my computers!
>>
>> I have one problem:
>> I get "Aw, Snap!" crashes periodically in current Google Chrome
>> stable? I think it is related to the proprietary AMD display driver
>> which I installed
>> through Settings/Additional Drivers.
>>
>> Running an AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCIe graphic card
>> with Xubuntu 15.04 64Bit "fglx-updates" through Additional Drivers.
>>
>> The computer is 100% stable other than then Google Chrome "Aw, Snap!"
>> crashes.
>> Anyone know how to fix this, thanks!
> Have you tried with the radeon driver, to see if the crashes happen
> then? Also, try running Chrome from a shell with "--help" to see if it
> has any "--debug" or "--verbose" options, and then running Chrome
> (again from a shell) with those to see what happens when the crash
> occurs. That might provide more details.
>
> Is this consistent when you do something specific, or does it happen
> randomly?
>
> Petter

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
I don't think Google Chrome was crashing with "Aw, Snap!" with the
open-source Radeon driver.
The problem is that I must run the proprietary AMD display driver
because I use VMWare Player.
(I run a Windows 8 virtual machine and the proprietary driver is required)

I'll run Google Chrome from terminal and will report any error messages.
Hope we can solve this problem!

Jesse