[xubuntu-users] Updating not working

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Thu Jul 30 09:03:02 UTC 2015

On 07/29/2015 10:46 PM, Andy Proctor wrote:
> On 29/07/15 23:02, John R. Sowden wrote:
>> Every day I get a message that there are updates pending.  I click on
>> install, and it starts, then about 5 seconds later it stops and the
>> window closes. No error message, etc.  Also the Software Updater does
>> not work.  I am running xubuntu version 14.04 LTS
>>

>> John
>>

> Hello John,
>
> Have you tried updating from a command line?
>
> > sudo apt-get update
>
> followed by
>
> > sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Any error messages or problems should be indicated in the terminal
> which may help identify (or even rectify) the issue.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

I did as you suggested.  I got a long list of actions which I kept a
copy of in a text file if needed.
Meantime I rebooted and got the following:  a window with "System
Program Problem Detected  Report? Y/N"  I reported it.  I also got
something else that I have been getting, a new window with 2 "sessions"
to choose from, one in June and one in July,m, or a button for a "New
Session".  I ried both, no difference.  The last thing I did was to run
the 2 commands again.  Below is the text from the second command:

john at sentry16:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for john:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
   linux-generic-lts-utopic linux-headers-generic-lts-utopic
   linux-image-generic-lts-utopic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
john at sentry16:~$

John