[xubuntu-users] Am I the only one who still uses floppies?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 29 07:25:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 21:42:46 -0400, JMZ wrote:
>After a week or two I make ongoing archive tarball CD backups.

Hi Jordan,

I would like to use floppies too, but all the drives I used failed after
a short while, so I have given up mounting a floppy drive to the PC
perhaps 10 or more years ago. However, floppies aren't that unsafe
media as CDs are. Most likely even 20 years and older HD floppies were
the data was written with a DD (not HD) drive are still ok, while CDs
could fail after 20 days or perhaps 20 hours. The best available backup
media for home usage are hard disk drives and CDROM. It's nearly
impossible to get CDROM good/fast working, so I backup to an external
hard disk drive. JFTR regarding an EU Regulation external drives must
be green drives, but crappy software such as GVFS make them spin down
and up again and again. Most developers writing such buggy software
aren't interested to fix this bug, so you need to remove crap, such as
GVFS if you won't damage those drives.

However, at lest one developer cared about this bug and fixed it [1] :).

To cut a long story, for backups don't rely on CDs. FWIW the
biggest pain I experienced is caused by DDS/DAT drives, not the tapes
cause issues, the drives are a PITA.

IMO for home usage external HDDs are the best solution for backups,
even if you insist in using GVFS and similar, since a backup drive
anyway should be disconnected from the computer, when not in use.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/bugs/751/