[xubuntu-users] Am I the only one who still uses floppies?

Rob Ward rl.ward at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 28 21:38:07 UTC 2015

I used to manage a school Report Writing system that relied on an app to
write data to a floppy disk and we could write our reports on our
laptops or wherever and then save the data onto the floppy.  The floppy
could then be put in a machine anywhere in the school and update the
master data base (we talking prehistory here, predating the USB memory
systems, let alone www updating!).  We were getting quite a few floppy
disk failures where the disk suddenly became un-readable. Suspicions
were first put at the feet of innocent staff but a when a few of the
geekier ones also lost floppies, rumours began circulating about the
better brands to buy.

Eventually the culprit was identified - people were using MS-Word to
save other files on their report database floppies and removing the
floppy before they had closed the MS-Word file down.  While a Word file
was open, the filing system was unstable (something to do with a
primitive network idea to stop people writing to the same file?). Anyway
once people were alerted to it (we had about a hundred people with
floppies, and 1000 kids each with about 6-10 subjects each, for about 6
years) just as suddenly the floppies were OK again. :-)

*Rob Ward*