[xubuntu-users] Are *Ubuntu Based Distro's Dying?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jul 6 18:36:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:46:53 -0400
Jesse Palser <jessepalsermailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is my little story:
> I used Ubuntu until Unity,
> then Kubuntu until Plasma 5,
> and now am using Xubuntu.
>
> I've seen some things which make me believe that *Ubuntu based
> distro's are dying?
> Seem like something will happen to Ubuntu soon and then the spins
> would die?
>
> Anyone know anything about this?
> Thanks!
>
> P.S. I've tried about 15 different Linux distro's and like Xubuntu
> best now...
>
> Jesse

I don't think *anybody* *knows* about this, but imagine opinions are
many. Here are mine...

As far as Unity, I just have to believe the folks at Canonical were on
some pretty good drugs the day they made *that* decision. As far as
KDE, well, I banned all use of KDE libs from Troubleshooters.Com in
about 2011. KDE is a massive entangulation of software that sometimes
works well, and is almost irreparable when it doesn't. I've found KDE
to almost always slow my computer down.

I gave up on Xubuntu for two reasons:

1) Xfce is perpetually buggy (though Xubuntu always fields a very
   workable Xfce).

2) Xfce is a little too entangled with systemd for my liking.

So for my laptops and my family's laptops, I'm using Lubuntu now.

Will Ubuntu itself die? I doubt it. If Unity starts blowing away too
many people, they can just use another desktop environment.

Another legitimate question is whether Debian will die. The recent
systemd kerfuffel caused a loss of a lot of their community's members
with tech chops, and some of their developers. I don't see Debian dying
in the near future, but it would be interesting to see what Canonical
would do if there were no more Debian. I'm pretty sure Canonical has
plenty of tech muscle to go it alone.

Those are one man's opinions.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21