[xubuntu-users] MenuLibre 2.0.6 Inconsistency

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Jul 4 13:57:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 14:42:21 +0100
John Deakin <john at humanaspects.co.uk> wrote:

> Petter,
>
> Thank you very much. There was so much junk there I have just spent a
> profitable half hour cleaning it all up. How do these dead items
> accumulate?

When you install a (GUI) application, it commonly places a .desktop
file in /usr/share/applications. If you edit the menu entries, for
instance with menulibre or alacarte, it saves the edited copies in
~/.local/share/applications, and those then override the system entries.

(If you want to add something to the menus, you can create
custom .desktop files with any text editor for whatever you need and put
them in the latter directory.)

Let's say you install an application that adds a .desktop file
under /usr and then edit that entry. If you later remove the package,
the .desktop file under your home directory will still be there, as it
was never registered in the package database. That would be my guess as
to why you have dead entries. The menus are created on the fly, but I
don't think they actually check that the executables they are supposed
to launch exist any more. This is a guess, though, I can't say for sure
this is what happens.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"