[xubuntu-users] disable autologin

Kiyotaka Nemoto kiyotaka at nemotos.net
Sat Jan 3 10:53:05 UTC 2015

>From what you have written, I think what you need to do is reset your password.

Try the following;

1. Press Shift when booting your PC. This will show GRUB menu
2. Select "Advanced Options for Ubuntu" and press Enter.
3. Select "recovery mode" and press Enter. After a while, Recovery
menu shows up.
4. On Recovery menu, select "root  Drop to root shell prompt" and
press Enter. Now you get the root access for the system. It shows
something like

  root at your_host_name:~#

5. Now the system is read-only, so type the following;

  mount -rw -o remount /

6. Now you can change the password of your account. To reset your
password, type the following;

  passwd <your_username>
  If your username is thomas, it should be "passwd thomas"

  Then the prompt asks

  "Enter new UNIX password:"

  You can type whatever password you like. It can be 4-character lengths.

  After that Another prompt asks

  "Retype new UNIX password:"

  Type your new password, and if that password matches your password,
it should show

  "passwd: password updated successfully."

7. type "exit" and it goes back to recovery menu.

8. Select "resume   Resume normal boot" and press enter.

Now you can login with your new password.

Hope this helps,

Kiyotaka