[xubuntu-users] Power Management in 14.10

Andy Proctor xubuntu.list at gpshelp.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 09:52:42 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I have noticed some seeming inefficiency in 14.10 with regard to power
management and wondered if anyone else had the same problem. I had
previously installed 14.10 on a laptop and enabled the new power
management panel applet with it's lovely cylindrical battery indicator
[sarcasm]. I noticed that the longevity of my laptop (an asus 1225b)
when running on battery was about 50%down from prior to installing the
power management applet. I disabled it but the old power manager could
not be re-enabled (well I could not find how to re-enable it to be honest).

But for another reason, one related to partitioning and backups, I
recently reformatted and re-organised the disk structure and then
reinstalled xubuntu in a new, larger partition with more swap available
etc.... and I did not enable the new power manager post install and find
that I am back to the same longevity (4hours + from a full charge) as
prior to that from enabling the "new" power management panel item. My
thoughts are that there must be either:

a) a bug/problem with the new power management function in 14.10 causing
a reduction in battery longevity/charge
b) something else

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Not sure I want to investigate further myself but some of the xubuntu
people reading this list may want to take a look.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Andy Proctor