[xubuntu-users] Custom Applications Menu launcher Icon filename saved without extension

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Feb 25 02:15:11 UTC 2015

Greetings,

Xubuntu 14.04 x64

I am off building custom Applications Menu launchers to start separate instances of Mozilla Firefox with different user profiles, dedicated to running specific Firefox extensions.

The first one I built is dedicated to running FireFTP. I downloaded a graphic from the FireFTP site I wanted to use as the launcher graphic for the dedicated FireFTP instance.

Using the "Main Menu" interface I built the custom launcher in the Internet group. It creates the custom launcher accurately with exception of the file extension of the Icon filename.

It builds this:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Firefox FireFTP
Terminal=false
Name=Firefox FireFTP
Exec=firefox -no-remote -P "FireFTP"
Type=Application
Icon=/home/mdlueck/.mozilla/firefox/z78l6ue7.FireFTP/FireFTP_logo64

Actually correct is:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Firefox FireFTP
Terminal=false
Name=Firefox FireFTP
Exec=firefox -no-remote -P "FireFTP"
Type=Application
Icon=/home/mdlueck/.mozilla/firefox/z78l6ue7.FireFTP/FireFTP_logo64.png

I have built custom launchers before using "Main Menu" without an issue. However, this is the first time that I wish to select an Icon file from my user profile directory. Perhaps is that the unique
thing that "Main Menu" applet is not handling correctly?

I may easily toggle the issue on/off by adding the extension in a text editor / returning to "Main Menu" and editing the selected Icon filename.

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems