[xubuntu-users] detecting USB drives

Ajay Patel ajaypatel.alt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 02:47:21 UTC 2015

On 02/15/2015 06:29 PM, Ajay Patel wrote:
> Hi,
> My Xubuntu 14.04 has stopped detecting and automounting USB drives (a
> thumb drive and a portable HD).  USB devices such as printer and mouse
> still work.  Any ideas how to fix this?
> thanks,
> ajay

Check your automount settings under 'removable drives and media' in the
Settings Manager.

hi,
I checked these setting and the automount option was checked.  I figured
out how the automount broke in the first place.  I was trying to format a
microSD card with the "mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/sdb" command.  I think that
broke devices assigned to /dev/sdb (USB drives).

Anyway, I was having some errors on boot and suspend so I thought I would
just do fresh install.  Did so and USB drives are mounting again.