[xubuntu-users] Strange Problem with Window Manager Shortcuts Not Working After Reboot

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 5 16:39:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 10:04:01 -0800
Sam Tregar <sam at tregar.com> wrote:

> Hello all.  I'm running Xubuntu 14.04.1 inside a VMWare 11 virtual
> machine on my Windows 8 desktop.  I use a USB keyboard and mouse.
>
> Everything is going great except for one thing - every time I boot
> up, the shortcuts for moving between virtual desktops don't work.
> They start working as soon as I open up Settings Manager -> Window
> Manager -> Keyboard and re-apply them, even though I'm just repeating
> what's already there. The shortcuts I use are Alt-up, Alt-down,
> Alt-left and Alt-right, so not the defaults.  I've used them for
> literally over a decade now though, so I really need them to work!
>
> Two questions:
>
>   1) Can someone suggest a fix?
>
>   2) If you don't know how to fix it, is there a way I can script the
> "apply these shortcuts" operation, so I could put it in my session
> startup commands?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sam

I'd suggest get the shortcuts working, then copy the file containing
them, and make a shellscript that copies the copy to the original.

When you say re-apply them, you did mean change what appears in
wm->Keyboard and then click OK, right? Because if you meant you just
click OK on what's already there, then it's something my solution
probably won't solve.

SteveT