[xubuntu-users] Strange Problem with Window Manager Shortcuts Not Working After Reboot

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Wed Feb 4 17:59:54 UTC 2015

Hello all.  I'm running Xubuntu 14.04.1 inside a VMWare 11 virtual machine
on my Windows 8 desktop.  I use a USB keyboard and mouse.

Everything is going great except for one thing - every time I boot up, the
shortcuts for moving between virtual desktops don't work.  They start
working as soon as I open up Settings Manager -> Window Manager -> Keyboard
and re-apply them, even though I'm just repeating what's already there.
The shortcuts I use are Alt-up, Alt-down, Alt-left and Alt-right, so not
the defaults.  I've used them for literally over a decade now though, so I
really need them to work!

Two questions:

  1) Can someone suggest a fix?

  2) If you don't know how to fix it, is there a way I can script the
"apply these shortcuts" operation, so I could put it in my session startup
commands?

Thanks!

Sam