[xubuntu-users] Sudden loss of WiFi during updating

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Aug 13 09:22:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 04:53:21 -0400
JMZ <florentior at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> One peril of running a (what I think is a) no-longer-supported version

You are wrong. 12.04 is still supported, until well into 2017.

> Try this.  It's a bit risky and convoluted, but I can help you out if
> the computer gets stuck.
>
> Pre-steps.  ----> Go to your terminal.
>
> -------------------> I like ROXTerm (shameless plug).  Type 'sudo
> apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install roxterm' to try it.
>

> 1) copy /etc/apt/sources.list to another file.  ie. go to x:x/$ (your
> root directory) and type 'sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list
> 08132015-sources.list' or however you like to organize your backup files.

<snip>

Nononononono. Don't. If you do want to upgrade, then take the
'do-release-upgrade' route, as that will take care of everything you
need to think about. While doing it this way might work, I wouldn't
recommend it to a newbie. And there might be newer kernels available
that have the drivers you need, take a look at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

That is if the kernel is the problem at all. What might have happened
is that your system upgraded to a newer kernel that has some problem
with your wifi adapter. What you could do to determine this is to
reboot with your previous kernel, it should still be installed.

Reboot, and select "Advanced" from the Ubuntu boot menu. There you
should be able to select your previous kernel (if there are many,
select the one with the next-highest version number). See if that fixes
your problem before you try anything else.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"