[xubuntu-users] Sudden loss of WiFi during updating

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 08:26:55 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I was updating my Xubuntu this morning when it announced that it had failed
to download and stopped.  Since then I haven't been able to reconnect to
WiFi.  It continually tries then asks for the password for the wifi,
repeated ad nauseum.

Now I have two identical laptops, so, knowing the other has a perfect,
identical, wifi board, I swapped the HDDs over, only to discover:

a) The other machine with the Xubuntu SSD transplanted now can't connect to
WiFi, although it could when it was running Win XP

and

b) the computer that couldn't connect under Xubuntu, happily connects when
running Win XP!

So the problem *has* to lie in the Xubuntu system.  This is my "Notebook"
and I will need it running next Monday and Tuesday, as I'm on a course then.

Here's the system details:

The machine is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 (yes I know it's virtually scrap
- that's why I can use it as my Workbook, it's not even worth stealing!)
It has been upgraded to a Pentium 4 and has 1 GB memory and an 80 GB SSD.

The WiFi Board is an Intel 2200 one.

The system is running Xubuntu 12.04 (personal taste).

I'm still a fairly new newbie and would appreciate fullest explanations of
how to sort this out (please talk down to me!!!) and how to generate any
further information the list might need to help me.

I am wondering if the drivers have been corrupted and if so, how to remove
and re-install them.  The system runs fine on a wired connection.

Thanks in anticipation,

David Walland