[xubuntu-users] What's a better gnome mail client than Thunderbird?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Aug 4 12:44:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 14:22:31 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 14:12:03 +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> >On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:55:13 -0400
> >JMZ <florentior at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Okay I've been using Thunderbird for years (and before that pine).
> >> pine worked better (more reliable) but I need a gui mail client now.
> >
> >How is Thunderbird not a "GUI mail client"?
>
> The second sentence from the OP is
>
> >> pine worked better (more reliable) but I need a gui mail client now.
>
> Since pine is text based,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_%28email_client%29 , and Thunderbird
> worked less reliable for the OP, the OP now asks for an alternative MUA
> that is more reliable than the clumsy Thunderbird, not to mention
> that many people for good reasons dislike the Mozilla policy. The OP
> didn't claim that Thunderbird is a text based MUA without a GUI.

I see. I fail to see how Thunderbird is unreliable (I don't seem to
have any problems with it, unlike Evolution which crashed a lot here -
and I had a couple of crashes with Claws too), but everyone can have
their own experience with it.

Of course since people are using subjective terms to describe their
experience ("better", "clumsy"...), it's difficult to assert what is
*objectively* asked for ;-)  For me Thunderbird is less clumy for
e-mail than Claws, for example (I still use Claws for newsgroups,
though), so I'd have a hard time recommending Claws over Thunderbird.

I'd add that both Thunderbird and Claws have plugins (although
Thunderbird may have more third-party plugins than Claws, or at least
they are more easily discovered and installed), which allow to add
functionality and tweak the UI to some extent.

While there used to be concerns about Thunderbird's ongoing
development, I'm not sure that Claws' development is much more active...

Regards

Antoine.