[xubuntu-users] What's a better gnome mail client than Thunderbird?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Aug 4 08:08:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:55:13 -0400, JMZ wrote:
>Okay I've been using Thunderbird for years (and before that pine).
>pine worked better (more reliable) but I need a gui mail client now.
>Client has to be gnome instruction compliant, still in development,
>and not memory greedy.  Ideas?

I don't know what you mean by "instruction compilant". The GNOME's MUA
is Evolution, but we don't need to discuss the pros and cons over the
MUAs I'll recommend, since I follow the Evolution mailing list and
Ubuntu and it's flavours are a PITA for Evolution users. It's often
terrible broken and there's nearly no chance to compile recent
versions from Evolution regarding the outdated GNOME packages,
it's a dependency hell.

My recommendation would be Claws and Sylpheed. I prefer Claws over
Sylpheed and had no issues building a Claws from git package for a Wily
server install and it most likely would be no issue to do it for
already released Xubuntu releases. I follow the Claws mailing list,
Ubuntu and it's flavours seem not to cause issues for the Claws versions
provided by the official repositories. Claws is based on GTK2 and GNOME
is based on GTK3.

FWIW Claws, but als Sylpheed are less bloated than Evolution and they
are under development.

Regards,
Ralf