[xubuntu-users] What's a better gnome mail client than Thunderbird?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue Aug 4 06:57:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:55:13 -0400
JMZ <florentior at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Okay I've been using Thunderbird for years (and before that pine). pine
> worked better (more reliable) but I need a gui mail client now.  Client
> has to be gnome instruction compliant, still in development, and not
> memory greedy.  Ideas?

What do you mean by 'GNOME instruction compliant'?

I'm very happy with Claws Mail - it's a fork of Sylpheed (which you
might also want to check out). Some people like Evolution - I think
it's horrid. YMMV, these things can get quite personal. It's also quite
light on resources and dependencies, if you avoid certain plugins.

Claws has some really nice features, like the ability to write filters
directly in Perl, or extending Claws itself with Python. It also has
extensive filtering and pre/post-processing capabilities. A new version
(3.12.0) was just released a couple of weeks ago, and it has a quite
active mailing list.

I used to use VM in Emacs, and that can be a very extensible and nice
option if you swing that way, especially since you have the option of
ssh'ing in from a remote machine and run it in the terminal. But if you
want a 'true' GUI MUA, then something else might suit you better.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"