[xubuntu-users] Greetings and question

Gordon Burgess-Parker gordonbp at mail.com
Wed Apr 1 20:32:26 UTC 2015

On 01/04/15 21:05, Fernando wrote:
> Hello there!
> I am an experienced and relatively knowledgeable Ubuntu user; recently
> started using Xubuntu due to RAM memory (or lack thereof) issues with
> my older Toshiba notebook; apparently the Unity desktop regular Ubuntu
> has been using over the last few years as replacement for the good old
> Gnome is a bit too much for my notebook, and it was making everything
> slower and slower with every new release.
> So I am running Xubuntu 14.04 now, and everything this far seems to be
> working wonderfully well, practically out-of-the-box. Except, and I
> admit that this is just plain silly nostalgia, I miss the old Ubuntu
> system sounds, the intriguing drums at start-up, etcetera.
> Question: Am I having some kind of trouble here, or is it that there
> are no system sounds in Xubuntu? And in any case, is there a way to
> restore the Ubuntu sounds?
> Thanks.
> Fernando

Try this:

1st install the necessary apps:

    Code:

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools ubuntu-sounds sox xfconf

    Now the easy bit Login Sound.
    Go to settings-settings manager-session & startup-application
    autostart-add.
    For the Ubuntu login sound on the COMMAND Line add:
    play /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/desktop-login.ogg
    You can point the command toward any sound file you like (it may
    have to be a .ogg file though - not tested anything else)
    Add to NAME & DESCRIPTION whatever you like and click OK.

    Now system sounds:
    Go to system/dconf Editor/org/gnome/desktop/sound.
    Make sure the Event Sounds & feedback sounds boxes are ticked.
    Then change the theme name to "ubuntu" (without the quotes)
    All your gtk apps should now have the same system sounds that the
    main Ubuntu version has.
    Now go to settings-settings Editor-xsettings-net & you will see
    SoundThemeName, change the value to "ubuntu" (without the quotes)
    All your xfce apps should now have sound also.
    Finally reboot.