[xubuntu-users] Problems after updating 14.04

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:33:26 UTC 2014

Thanks everyone for your advice and help.  I've found that the information
is only the same I have tried and failed to get to work.  Yesterday I
"invested" GBP2.46 in a second-hand Intel card, to replace the Broadcom
one.  I'll report back when I've done this (this is a very busy time of
year) and on how well it works.  Still got the black rectangle on the
desktop.  It appeared when a report during updating was only partly closed
off and I don't no how to get rid of it, nor where to look (there must be
somewhere that tells the machine to not put the desktop image just there).
Irritatingly it was fine originally after the upgrade; I put the current
image on at that time and it was fine until this update, whatever it was.
I run 64 bit on this machine and it's very fast, especially with the SSD,
so it's always left switched completely off.  Each time I boot it the image
is fine until I log into my own area, when the black area appears again.
It's always on top from then on.

I'm only running with 2 GB memory.  Do you think doubling up will make much
difference?  I'd like to speed the startup back to what it was under 12.04
(12 - 15 secs).  It's currently taking 25 secs to boot.

Regards

David