[xubuntu-users] Problems after updating 14.04

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 07:13:55 UTC 2014

Thanks to all!  It's easy when you know!  I know about rebuilding laptops,
so I think I'll simply change the card.  Life is too short!

It's quite hard for someone like me who learned about computers in the days
of ALGOL, FORTRAN and binary/assembler and has only been a user since the
PC revolution (I was a handy BBC Microcomputer programmer in the 1980s), to
get my head around these things without you guys and I'm hugely grateful
you all took the time to answer me.

I love messing about making old laptops do things you wouldn't believe.  I
have an ancient Toshiba 1710CDS running 12.04 surprisingly well on 288 MB
RAM with a 6GB HDD.  I'm planning to update it to a Pentium 3 (Celeron
right now) and add a 20GB HDD preloaded with 14.04 iso, as soon as I get
time, to see if it can run that.  Right now its performance compares well
with a DELL Vista machine, more modern than this Latitude.

I'll report back, but don't hold your breathe - "Mission-control" has
thousands of jobs to remind me of, whenever I "play" computers...

Regards

David