[xubuntu-users] 14.04.1 hates video (Steve Litt)

kelmark pcgarminmap at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:27:46 UTC 2014

I realized complete new installs were needed, but I upgraded to 14.04
and have had smplayer problems, mainly with mplayer and its refusal to
play any GUI interface videos.  (playing mplayer through the terminal
worked fine). I fixed my particular problem by installing mplayer2.

To install mplayer2 I launched Synaptic and un-installed mplayer.  The
uninstall installed mplayer2 by default.  I have checked other complete
installs of 14.04 and they work fine with smplayer, which has mplayer
1.1-4.8 and NOT MPlayer2 2.0-701-gd4c5b7f-2ubuntu2 (NEW Version)

I will do a fresh install of Xubuntu 14.04 just to clean everything up.

I use Aptik (It saves my PPA's and installed software list to a Backup
Directory which automatically download and re-install all my programs).
 (More in the Introducing Aptik Link below.

(1. Backup my current installed PPA's and Software list (No need to
backup software selections or application settings since they are wrong
versions)
(2. Copy aptik backup directory to a USB drive,
(3. Clean Install 14.04
(4. sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik
(5. Copy Backup directory from USB to Xubuntu
(6. Launch new Aptik and restore your PPA's and Software

Here's a link to Introducing Aptik which contains detailed information
http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/01/introducing-aptik.html

Timeshift is a drive snapshot backup tool
http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/04/upgrade-to-ubuntu-1404-with-timeshift.html

Don

--
<b>map</b>