[xubuntu-users] thunar opens pdf with gimp instead of evince

Patrice ARNAL patricearnal at gmx.fr
Thu Sep 4 20:10:10 UTC 2014

Le 04/09/2014 20:22, Paul Sutton a écrit :

> On 04/09/14 19:21, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM, rodolfo gouveia <rgouveia at cosmico.net> wrote:
>> :
>>> Assuming that you meant what is the first option when I right-click:
>>>   'Open With "GIMP Image Editor"'
>>>
>> Try right-click on the file, go to Properties and change the "Open
>> With" to evince (document viewer).
>>
>> Works up to 14.04.
>>
>> HTH
>> MR
>>
> I get a similar issue to this, in that some pdfs online try and open
> with scratch
>
> Paul

CAUTION :

There is a big difference between "open a file" through a file browser
like Nautilus / thunar /and so on and open a document on line with an
internet browser (FireFox, Opera, ...)

The former choose the application through it configuration and/or some
educated guess about the content of the file ("open with" parameter).

The later use the W3C recommendation and the "MIME" type provided by the
web site.

Unfortunately, most of web developer does not set this Mime type
correctly, so it ends by default as "text file" and open a default text
editor.
In this case, the only workaround is to download the file and open it
through Thunar/Nautilus...

> Worst : some browsers (Internet Explorer) override the Mime type with
> their own choice : Some versions always used Winzip to open an
> OpenOffice Document.... (It's true that an Open Office document IS a
> zip archive of several files but this is not the expected behaviour of
> a normal browser)

As you can see, the program used to open a file depends heavily on the
way you got it.

Patrice

Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant
parce que Windows a été banni de cette machine.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates or Windows?