[xubuntu-users] Secondary login doesn't work in 14.04

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 02:20:08 UTC 2014

On 10/14/2014 05:42 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM, LluĂ­s Forns <enboig at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  From your 1st session you can "switch user" and a new X session is started
>>
> How do I "switch user?"  I don't see any menu with that in it.

xubuntu 14.04 no longer has the "action button" in the upper right hand
which would have been the normal place to find switch user, provided you
created a user for your son(others) to use.  If you want the "action
button" back:

1. [right click] panel bar -> Panel -> Add New Items...
2. [left click] "Action Buttons" -> Add -> Close

Even after adding user and action button "Switch user" fail to activate
and may need another option turned back on of which I am currently unaware.

Seems a basic question and hate asking but did you create a user for
your son to use? As your original post said he would be using the
"other" option at log in which only asks for a user name.  Any user with
a id number >999 will be listed on the log in list and he would not need
the "other" option.  You would simply need to create a desktop user and
log out of your session (provided you are not leaving anything running
ofc).  Once logged out his user would be seen.  The "other" option, if I
am understanding you, is for user like my itadmin account I put on
clients' system which has an id# <1000 and is not listed on the log in
screen user list.  Then again, perhaps I am misunderstanding you and
apologize.

--
- Fred

"Only those who can see the invisible
can accomplish the impossible." - Anonymous