[xubuntu-users] Secondary login doesn't work in 14.04

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Tue Oct 14 19:42:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> Ah.  I've been using xscreensaver for 2+ years and it used to have a
> "new login" function that apparently handled this.

XScreensaver does have the ability to launch a program (usually to
generate a new running server).  If the "New Login" option appears in the
lock dialogue, it should mean something is in place in the config file to
handle that option.

In UB14 /etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreensaver on a machine I have, there's:

! This command is executed by the "New Login" button on the lock dialog.
! (That button does not appear on the dialog if this program does not exist.)
! For Gnome: probably "gdmflexiserver -ls".  KDE, probably "kdmctl reserve".
!
! !*newLoginCommand:  gdmflexiserver -ls
! Debian: Hard-wire the command in case the build machine doses not have gdm.
*newLoginCommand:  gdmflexiserver -ls

Which is apparently the Debian default expecting Gnome.

> That no longer seems to work.

This is likely because Ubuntu's We-Know-What's-Best-For-You approach has
dumpped XScreenSaver for Lightlocker for the screen saver, and LightDM for
the display manager, so they've most likely not bothered to actually
configure the XScreenSaver package to work fully.

I've been finding this sort of thing throughout 14.  After 20+ years of
working with Linux, recent Ubuntu distros are really beginning to make me
hate it.