[xubuntu-users] Unable to upgrade xubunto

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:54:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014, John Deakin wrote:

> On 27/05/14 14:33, Victor Forberger wrote:

>>> As James pointed out you must first upgrade to 13.10 and then 14.04 if
>>> you want to do the upgrade route.  As for the the disk space you can see
>>> what your systems sees in command line with:
>>>
>>> sudo df -h
>>>
>>> Which will give you a summary of disk usage.  Handy if you post results
>>> here too; because sometimes the /boot will be put on a separate
>>> partition and that may be what is running out of space.
>>>
>>> Another option is, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that you may do
>>> a fresh install of 14.04 from cd/thumbdrive.  The install will give you
>>> the option to install and preserve user data.  BACKUP anything important
>>> before attempting .  This option may save you the 13.10 upgrade step
>>> mentioned above.
>>>
>>> HIH
>>> - Fred
>>>
>>> p.s.-fyi: you can do a LTS to LTS upgrade (12.04 to 14.04) but you have
>>> to upgrade the interim distributions sequentially (12.10 > 13.04 > 13.10
>>>

>> The /boot volume is running out of space because prior kernels are
>> stored there and have not been deleted.
>>
>> Here is what mine looks like after upgrade to 14.04 and deletion of old
>> kernels:
>>
>> :/boot$ ls
>> total 58086
>>   990 abi-3.11.0-20-generic	      174 memtest86+.bin
>>  1137 abi-3.13.0-24-generic	      175 memtest86+.elf
>>   161 config-3.11.0-20-generic	      176 memtest86+_multiboot.bin
>>   163 config-3.13.0-24-generic	     3234 System.map-3.11.0-20-generic
>>     1 grub/			     3308 System.map-3.13.0-24-generic
>> 17868 initrd.img-3.11.0-20-generic   5526 vmlinuz-3.11.0-20-generic
>> 19496 initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic   5665 vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
>>    12 lost+found/
>>
>> Use the command "sudo rm [filename]" to delete old kernels in order to
>> free up space.  Via the above file listing, the old kernels are the
>> files ending in "3.11.0.20-generic."
>>
>> The above file listing shows I only have one old kernel - the last one
>> for 13.10 before I upgraded to 14.04.  You probably have five or more
>> old kernels.  You do not need to delete all of the old kernels, and you
>> need to be CAREFUL that you do not delete your current kernel (the
>> system will not boot if you do).  Just delete enough old kernel files to
>> clear up some space so that new kernel files can be installed on /boot.
>>
>> - Victor
>
> I was totally unaware how many old copies of the kernel I had
> accumulated (dozens). Is there any way of removing an older kernel
> during the update procedure?
>
> --
> regards,
> John

Hmmm. As I said before, save yourself trouble and do a fresh install. I have
trouble on a test PC and I think it is the hard disk as I did a MD5SUM and
SHA256SUM on the DVD. When it comes to problems go back to the basics. There
may be a way of removing an older kernel but save yourself grief and do a clean
install. Having used *buntu since 2007 the only problems I've heard about are
upgrading from releases.

james