[xubuntu-users] Unable to upgrade xubunto

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue May 27 14:36:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 15:27 +0100, John Deakin wrote:
> On 27/05/14 14:33, Victor Forberger wrote:

> >> As James pointed out you must first upgrade to 13.10 and then 14.04 if
> >> you want to do the upgrade route.  As for the the disk space you can see
> >> what your systems sees in command line with:
> >>
> >> sudo df -h
> >>
> >> Which will give you a summary of disk usage.  Handy if you post results
> >> here too; because sometimes the /boot will be put on a separate
> >> partition and that may be what is running out of space.
> >>
> >> Another option is, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that you may do
> >> a fresh install of 14.04 from cd/thumbdrive.  The install will give you
> >> the option to install and preserve user data.  BACKUP anything important
> >> before attempting .  This option may save you the 13.10 upgrade step
> >> mentioned above.
> >>
> >> HIH
> >> - Fred
> >>
> >> p.s.-fyi: you can do a LTS to LTS upgrade (12.04 to 14.04) but you have
> >> to upgrade the interim distributions sequentially (12.10 > 13.04 > 13.10
> >>

> > The /boot volume is running out of space because prior kernels are
> > stored there and have not been deleted.
> >
> > Here is what mine looks like after upgrade to 14.04 and deletion of old
> > kernels:
> >
> > :/boot$ ls
> > total 58086
> >   990 abi-3.11.0-20-generic	      174 memtest86+.bin
> >  1137 abi-3.13.0-24-generic	      175 memtest86+.elf
> >   161 config-3.11.0-20-generic	      176 memtest86+_multiboot.bin
> >   163 config-3.13.0-24-generic	     3234 System.map-3.11.0-20-generic
> >     1 grub/			     3308 System.map-3.13.0-24-generic
> > 17868 initrd.img-3.11.0-20-generic   5526 vmlinuz-3.11.0-20-generic
> > 19496 initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic   5665 vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
> >    12 lost+found/
> >
> > Use the command "sudo rm [filename]" to delete old kernels in order to
> > free up space.  Via the above file listing, the old kernels are the
> > files ending in "3.11.0.20-generic."

Pff! Only if the kernels were not installed by a package. To uninstall
kernels installed by a package use apt-get purge or synaptic and
completely remove the packages. You might want to rm -r some directories
in /lib/modules/ too, assumed dkms build some modules.

> > The above file listing shows I only have one old kernel - the last one
> > for 13.10 before I upgraded to 14.04.  You probably have five or more
> > old kernels.  You do not need to delete all of the old kernels, and you
> > need to be CAREFUL that you do not delete your current kernel (the
> > system will not boot if you do).  Just delete enough old kernel files to
> > clear up some space so that new kernel files can be installed on /boot.
> >
> > - Victor
>
> I was totally unaware how many old copies of the kernel I had
> accumulated (dozens). Is there any way of removing an older kernel
> during the update procedure?

Even if there should be a way to do it, purge remove them using apt-get
or synaptic.