[xubuntu-users] New LTS version 14.04

Neil neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Tue May 27 07:54:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014 08:19:27 +0100
Elfy <ub.untu at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 27/05/14 07:31, Gillard Xavier wrote:
> > On 2014/05/26 at 05:55pm, Neil wrote:
> >
> >> Using the menu item in v14.04 is fine for a package that always
> >> needs root.  If I choose gparted from the menu for example I am
> >> asked for the root password. Fine. However using Alt-F2 does not
> >> work. If I just
> >
> >> Answer 1: The application menu is probably set up to launch a
> >> graphical version of sudo such as gtksudo (or maybe ksudo or
> >> gsudo, or whatever software the DE uses). So, with Alt-F2, you
> >> would want to do >the same thing - "gtksudo gparted", for example.
> >> Gtksudo would pop up the password box you are used to.
> > ----
> >
> > it's actually "gksudo" in Xubuntu, and it will work perfectly.
> >
> > Xavier
> >

> Once you've installed it, also make sure to run gksu-properties and
> set Authentication Mode to sudo

Of course, I do know that and I normally use gksudo for a GUI program.
Please put it down to a senior moment, not helped by having three young
grandchildren visiting at the moment.

I have tested it and it is OK. Who would guess that I have been using
Linux for 15 years??!!

As I said, so far I am very pleased with version 14.04.

Thanks

Neil