[xubuntu-users] New LTS version 14.04

Chris Spackman chris at osugisakae.com
Mon May 26 18:03:38 UTC 2014

On 2014/05/26 at 05:55pm, Neil wrote:

> Using the menu item in v14.04 is fine for a package that always needs
> root.  If I choose gparted from the menu for example I am asked for the
> root password. Fine. However using Alt-F2 does not work. If I just enter
> gparted  I  get a message that I need root to run that program. But I
> do not get any window asking me to input the password. If I use Alt-F2
> and enter 'sudo gparted' and launch it the window simply disappears.
>
> With a program that does not normally need root, eg gedit, if I launch
> it from the menu it opens as a normal user. If I use Alt-F2 and enter
> sudo gedit then again the window disappears.

Just guessing here, but I assume that because sudo is a command line
program, launching it from something like Alt-F2 won't work as you are
expecting it to. If you really wanted to do it the 'hard' way, you
could try running "xterm -e sudo gparted" without the quotes. That
would bring up an xterm, so that sudo would be able to ask for your
password and then receive the input. (But I don't recommend doing it
this way.)

The application menu is probably set up to launch a graphical version
of sudo such as gtksudo (or maybe ksudo or gsudo, or whatever software
the DE uses). So, with Alt-F2, you would want to do the same thing -
"gtksudo gparted", for example. Gtksudo would pop up the password box
you are used to.

--
Chris and Yoshiko Spackman

Respect is earned. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.