[xubuntu-users] Unable to upgrade xubunto

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 15:44:08 UTC 2014

On 05/26/2014 11:26 AM, James Freer wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2014, Joshua wrote:
>
>> Trying to upgrade my PC from 13.04 to the latest supported xubunto
>> version.
>>
>> When clicking "Install Now" in Software Updater the following message
>> appears:
>>
>>     "The upgrade needs a total of 41.7 M free space on disk '/boot'.
>> Please free at least an additional 41.7 M of disk space on '/boot'.
>> Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former
>> installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'."
>>
>> However, my PC does has enough space (and, in addition, 'sudo apt-get
>> clean' does not seem to do anything either).
>>
>> Can someone offer some advice as to what to do?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Josh
>
> I don't think you can upgrade over two releases... only the next one -
> I think I am right in saying. That's the problem I reckon. Current
> release in 14.04. Upgrading is not the recommended approach.
>
> Over the last 7 years of using *buntu distros I have always burnt a
> new release to CD/DVD and not had any problems with an installation.
> Other than using the Xfburn which I have found very unreliable and now
> refuse to use.
>
> james

As James pointed out you must first upgrade to 13.10 and then 14.04 if
you want to do the upgrade route.  As for the the disk space you can see
what your systems sees in command line with:

sudo df -h

Which will give you a summary of disk usage.  Handy if you post results
here too; because sometimes the /boot will be put on a separate
partition and that may be what is running out of space.

Another option is, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that you may do
a fresh install of 14.04 from cd/thumbdrive.  The install will give you
the option to install and preserve user data.  BACKUP anything important
before attempting .  This option may save you the 13.10 upgrade step
mentioned above.

HIH
- Fred

p.s.-fyi: you can do a LTS to LTS upgrade (12.04 to 14.04) but you have
to upgrade the interim distributions sequentially (12.10 > 13.04 > 13.10