[xubuntu-users] file associations

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue May 20 14:13:08 UTC 2014

On 20/05/14 14:59, Fred Roller wrote:
> On 05/20/2014 09:26 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> In firefox (29.0) the option to keep doing this is greyed out so I Can't
>> tick the tick box for this,
> Where are you looking in firefox? When I go to

This is the box that comes up when I

left click on link,  a dialog pops up to open the pdf (default is
scratch) I can change this manualy but as I said tick box is greyed out
so there is no way to set that behaviour so firefox remembers what to do.

> Open Menu (upper right corner) > Preferences > Applications
>
> I get a PDF in the list and a drop down menu to the right with my
> options for actions: Preview in Firefox, Always Ask, Save file, Use
> Document Viewer, Use Other.

Yes, I get all those,

Select use other,  navigate to /usr/bin  select evince which is a pdf
viewer,  then restart firefox and it still tries to open by default in
scratch.

I am using firefox,  thunar is my file browser so separate application.

I should be able to

> The only quark I noticed is that when I click your link's pdf, no
> matter the option I choose, Firefox will download the file. So as Ralf
> asked, where are you looking? Thunar or Firefox.  Please show us your
> path as
>
> Start > next > etc

As for about:config I go to that and have no idea what I am looking for
in relation to opening a pdf file in the right application or just
getting it to save by default,  (which is fine)  the option to remember
that is still greyed out. so i have to select this every time I want to
save a pdf in firefox seems crazy

If i go to a different site in the same browser,  click on a pdf it
opens up in document viewer fine, so is it possible the website is
causing this ?.

--
http://www.zleap.net
@zleap14

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and
vulnerable groups and expect any school, establishment or organsation that
I am involved with to share this commitment.