[xubuntu-users] migrate to new system

Patrice ARNAL patricearnal at gmx.fr
Mon May 12 18:52:57 UTC 2014

Le 12/05/2014 20:44, Wes James a écrit :
> I have migrated windows pcs and macs, but I haven't done much in the
> way of migrating a linux box.  What do people suggest?  Would rsyncing
> the disk to an external hard drive then rsyncing back do the trick?
>
> I.e.:
>
> 1. boot to level 3 or single user mode or recovery mode?
> 2. rsync old disk to new disk
> 3. on new system run line one above
> 4. rsync backup disk to new disk?
>
> I recently upgraded to xubuntu 14.04 and it is working well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -wes
On my original linux installation, I have the home directory on a
distinct partition.
So when I boot from a live CD/USB of the new version I check the
"advanced" install, and I format the / partition only, leaving the /home
untouched.

It is less safe (wrong choice during the preparation) but much more
quick....