[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 14.10 not showing nm-applet - icons missing?

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Fri May 9 00:33:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, 8 May 2014, Lutz Andersohn wrote:

> To take this somewhat off topic, what is a good simple and "pure" distro that
> follows the KISS principle?

For years, my favorite was Vector Linux.  It's Slackware based, uses XFCE
or LXDE window managers.

The nicest part is that the developers actually *listen* to what users
need and try to accomodate.  I've not deployed the latest few releases
largely *because* the older one does what's needed and is simple to
maintain.

The downside is that there's not the huge number of programs beyond the
most common ones in the normal repository.  The devs may make a package
for you...or host it if you make one yourself (they provide some tools for
that).

I've actually been meaning to get the latest version and try it out now
I've got VMware working under 14.04 on a development box.