[xubuntu-users] If you want a faster xfce4-appfinder...

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun May 4 22:05:10 UTC 2014

On 05/04/2014 10:50 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> After a new Ubuntu 14.04/Xfce4 install on a laptop last night,
> including hotkeying Ctrl+Shift+; to xfce4-appfinder, I found that it
> took several seconds between pressing the key and the appfinder
> becoming visible. This was ultra disturbing, and something I'd never
> seen in any earlier versions of any Linux distros.

Is this the gizmo whose icon is a magnifying-glass?
It didn't appear to do anything useful so I removed it from the screen.

> So, to fix the problem, I ran xfce4-appfinder with the --disable-server
> option, and bang, it came up instantly. I'd like to hear your results.

I replaced it and modified the properties to include that, and yes
indeed it now springs into life. I wonder why it was crippled.

I still don't know what I'd use it for, though. I know what GUI
applications are installed, and the ones I use are in the dock (I use
Enlightenment). Unlike Mac's Finder, xfce4-appfinder doesn't appear to
know about commands, so if I really wanted to know where something was,
I'd use locate.

///Peter