[xubuntu-users] mdraid on 14.4beta

uwe at codesmell.de uwe at codesmell.de
Tue Mar 4 14:58:25 UTC 2014

hi

i came across your distribution and i enjoy it very much on my laptops.
now that i want to take it to my desktop and replace an older kubuntu, i
encountered a problem:

there is no alternate installer anymore?

the reason i ask is that i rely on mdraid on my desktop. so i started
xubuntu in "try"-mode, installed mdadm, setup and started the raids, and
then started the installer an installed from there.

good. now here is the problem:

the installer fails installing grub, claiming there were no disk like
md127 (which was my boot).

then i thought, well maybe just put my boot on a regular partition and
have root mounted from raid.

that went through, but now the boot fails, saying root did not come up.
grub seems to load the appropriate modules (md_cant_remember_9)

what magic poison am i missing here to get xubuntu to load from an
md-ish root ?

out of curiosity i tried to install a 12.04 from alternate and upgraded
my way to 13.10. that took some time, but worked fine.

cu uwe