[xubuntu-users] I think this is ultra cool

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jun 20 22:32:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 06:22:13 -0500
Lutz Andersohn <landersohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/19/2014 06:08 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:52:12 -0500
> > "c. marlow" <chris at marlows.org> wrote:
> >

> >> I wouldnt know how but it would be cool if someone knew how to
> >> make a script you can have on your desktop you double click it,
> >> it logs you out and kills greeter so all you have is the TTY
> >> prompt. :D
> >>
> >> Christopher
> > If you're willing to start with startx instead of that gui login
> > screen, just disable lightdm by putting an exit at the top of its
> > config file. There's already an example exit statement in an if
> > statement within that conf file.
> >
> > I haven't tried it, but I bet just renaming lightdm to gui_atrocity
> > would also do it.
> >
> > By the way, if you follow my advice, you need to code your choice of
> > window manager /desktop environments into .xinitrc.
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> > Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
> >
> just for grins, why would this be useful?

1) It's often easier to boot to CLI. It's sort of like having a base
   camp while climbing Mount Everest.
2) I can't reproduce the symptom right now, but I've had situations
   where htop showing lightdm and "lightdm --session-child" consuming a
   heck of a lot of CPU.

But my real motivation is to see every line of the bootup, in text
mode, sans Plymouth, sans X, sans framebuffer, just regular ascii
output. Having a boot process sit there and give me a pretty picture
just makes me nervous as hell. And of course, I need to do *a lot* more
than getting rid of lightdm to do what this paragraph says.

SteveT