[xubuntu-users] I think this is ultra cool

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Thu Jun 19 21:08:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, c. marlow wrote:

> I wouldnt know how but it would be cool if someone knew how to make a
> script you can have on your desktop you double click it,  it logs you
> out and kills greeter so all you have is the TTY prompt. :D

Just don't run a display manager at all!  That's the part that does the
greeter screen and login prompting.  Since that's what actually launches
the X session when you log in, it comes back to life on logout and
re-displays the graphical login screen.

But you can start an X server without a display manager (i.e. startx).
When you quit X, there's no display manager going, so you'll be back at a
system prompt.