[xubuntu-users] How can I change the default graphical editor to emacs-nox

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 21:15:51 UTC 2014

I have been learning emacs and wanted to use it as the default editor i.e.
apply association so that I can click on a .txt file on the Desktop and enter
into emacs. Why nox as opposed to standard gui version? - I find the console
one a bit quicker and less dependencies to install.

I've been doing "lookup & learn" and come a little unstuck - thus grateful for
a little help. I found this (below) and made the .desktop file. It provided the
association in the 'open with' window. Went into properties and selected
emacs-nox for .txt files. No icon?

File placed in home .local/share/applications/emacs.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Emacs-nox
Comment=Edit text files
Exec=emacs %F
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Icon=Emacs
Categories=;
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=text/plain;

a] When I click on a .txt file it opens up the file in emacs-nox although the
terminal window opens first small, and then maximised with emacs and the .txt
file. But why - it does seem slow? I have set the terminal to default to max.

b] However, if I in Thunar go to .local/share/applications and click onto
emacs.desktop - it immediately loads emacs in a maximised window which is what
I want.

So it seems that something isn't quite right with the associations or ? and I'd
be grateful if someone could guide me.

thanks
james