[xubuntu-users] XP to XUbuntu - The journey, join me

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 06:54:01 UTC 2014

On 12/06/2014, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:

>> I did this kind of migration a lot of time for friends, relatives...
>>
>> The main point about the migration from Outlook to Mozilla is not an OS
>> migration problem, but an application migration.
>>
>> The best way to achieve it is to install Thunderbird on XP.
>> TB detects outlook and offer the choice of importing all data from
>> outlook to TB.
>>
>> When moving from XP to XU you can simply copy the TB-XP's file to XU...
>> it's that simple...
>>
>> I found that a good way to put non technical people on the road to Linux
>> is to keep XP/Vista/W7 and install GNU software in lieu of
>> MS/proprietary softwares :
>>
>> Libre-Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, Kompozer, Stellarium .. are
>> good examples .
>>
>> Once people is at ease with applications, you can easily move to Linux
>
> What an excellent way of going about making the change, like so many
> good ideas so simple and yet it is truly something I have never thought
> about doing.
>
> Norman

Like the website... makes one want to visit!!!

I found TB very slow for mail with imap. gave using a mail client for
a good while and then found alpine and Mutt which as text only were
much faster. I use Alpine now and read the gmail server directly which
I found is excellent bearing in mind the xubuntu six month upgrades.
For install one copies over the .pinerc, address book and password
file ... and that's it. I don't know what one does with mbox type
client containing all the headers... I suppose just copy across the
mbox which gets bigger and bigger with time.

james