[xubuntu-users] Open Whisker Menu

ZP zukeprime at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 07:48:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:25:19 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know how to launch Whisker Menu for windows by the superkey,
> but I already described how to do it for common *nix operating
> systems.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/2014-June/007136.html
>
> [snip]

Sorry man...that doesn't work for me and it won't work for the OP.  By
setting Whisker Menu to open with *just* the Super Key (and the
subsequent auto setting of 'Super+L' in the keyboard shortcuts) you've
create a holy mess when you try to use other 'Super' modified
shortcuts, like Super+F and Super+T.  As I said...whisker opens
first...always.

I'm not sure you were tracking what I was saying.  XFCE activates super
when the key is pressed, not on release. Super Key on the
'upstroke'...or the 'release' of a 'press and release' cycle of key
pressing...is the behavior used by 'Windows' and is the behavior many
people try to replicate when they move over to Linux/XFCE.

I've learned to live with it and set it to "LCTL-SPACE" ala
Synapse/Kupfer.  Works great.  However, if there was a way to modify the
super key to give me my default menu/search in Xubuntu, I'd do it in a
heartbeat.