[xubuntu-users] WiFi on "Try It"?

Dave Hills dave.hills.2009 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 23:06:13 UTC 2014

On 03/06/14 10:36, xubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Re: [xubuntu-users] WiFi on "Try It"?
> From:
> Robert Miner <bobminer40 at gmail.com>
> Date:
> 02/06/14 23:15
>
> To:
> Xubuntu Support and User Discussions <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>

> Thanks for the input, Dave.  I'm such a newbie (to Ubuntu), that am
> having trouble following recommendations!  Anyway, did use the first
> step you recommended, and found that the Broadcom Linux driver was
> turned off.  Turned it on and it appeared to download. Restarted
> Ubuntu, but still no wireless.  Not even sure it was the correct
> driver, but I'll (try to) attach a screenshot.  Since I'm using a Live
> DVD in the "try it" mode, I wonder if I lose the driver whenever I
> restart. That happened when I tried to correct the time to the local
> time zone!
>
> I don't know how to access the Synaptic Package Manager -- couldn't
> find it on the computer when I did a search. Thanks.
>
> PS Tried to attach the screenshot that I saved in :ictures, and
> there's nothing there.  Again, it looks like I may not be able to make
> changes to the  DVD, so I lose everything when I reboot.  I'm nervous
> about installing it on the hard drive until I know I can get
> wireless.  Chicken or the egg???

Hi Robert,
When trying Xubuntu from a CD its always best to use an Ethernet cable
plugged into your router. The Broadcom wireless drivers are proprietary
and so don't ship with the install ISO. If you do an install you can
then do a software update with the software updater (very important) and
then install the Broadcom driver from the "software and updates" screen.
You can install the synaptic package manager from the software centre.
Then in synaptic enter Broadcom in the search box and you should see a
screen like my screen shot. If the broadcom-sta-common package is not
checked then check it and click apply. It will ask you for a password
and then install it.

Alternatively  you can check if the package is missing by opening a
terminal and typing the text that follows after ~$

dave at ENVY6X1:~$ apt search broadcom-sta-common

You should see this:

dave at ENVY6X1:~$ apt search broadcom-sta-common
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
broadcom-sta-common/trusty,now 6.30.223.141-1 all [installed]
   Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver

If its not you can install it with:

dave at ENVY6X1:~$ sudo apt-get install broadcom-sta-common

If using the DVD you might not need the "sudo" just: apt-get install
broadcom-sta-common
Also to get it to work you might need to disable then re-enable networking.

Best regards

Dave