[xubuntu-users] What does IBus do for me? Can I get rid of it?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jun 3 16:28:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 05:08:54PM +0100, Elfy wrote:
> On 03/06/14 15:58, som wrote:

> >>Safe to remove. You'd not have seen it on a clean install.
> >>
> >>Elfy
> >>
> >if chris is talking about the icon visible here (http://imgur.com/733y9OA),
> then i'd like to differ from Elfy. it is visible even in a fresh install
> of xubuntu 14.04.
> >
> >regards,
> >
> >som
> >

> then that is a bug - we deliberately ditched it from the seed,
> because of the issues that Chris Green has come across

It appeared on *all* my systems when I upgraded to 14.04 so I think it
possibly is a bug if it wasn't intended.

Can I delete all packages related to IBus, there's quite a few in
addition to the basic bits that get removed when you remove IBus
itself. E.g. I still have:-
    ibus-gtk
    libibus-1.0-5
    python-ibus